Friday, January 1, 2010

Tactical Tip: "Campers" Win in Small-Scale Fights

I was hoping to clear out the backlog of battle reports and equipment reviews I had planned, before diving into the new stuff I'm learning about paintball today. But I just came across a good tip that I think is helpful, and I wanted to post it before I forgot about it.

When you have a small number of people fighting it out, the people with the most patience tend to win. Camping wins small engagements.

At least, that's what Mike from TechPB says (more on TechPB in a later post). Check out this YouTube broadcast of his regular paintball radio show at about the 0:27:05 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWy9u2aIT0A&NR=1

Someone calls in saying he and his friends are doing a speedball tournament with only three-man format for teams. Mike tells him that in games of that size, "campers win three-man tournaments."

Camping, of course is when you sit in one spot and shoot, rather than aggressively moving. According to Mike, this kind of behavior serves well when there aren't a lot of players to keep track of. Especially in one-on-one scenarios. They guy with the most patience, who waits, is much more likely to make the kill than the guy who goes all "aggro" and makes a run for it.

I can't add too much to this, except to note that the one time I had a one-on-one situation, this totally proved to be the case. I was stalking a guy in the woods. He knew where I was, I knew where he was. I went down on one knee behind a tree, sighted-in on a clear lane of fire, and waited. He blinked first and ran for it and I pegged him in the middle of my lane of fire.

Just something you might want to file away for any time you find yourself in a one-on-one situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment